Wednesday, February 18, 2009

TO BE A CONTINENTAL

I believe I am of the same mind set as my late father-in-law. You see…Benjamin Franklin Hennacy was a Marine. No, I don’t mean he had been a marine aviation navigator in World War II and Korea…he was a Marine. Year in year out…even at the age of 87…lying in his bed at Country View Care Facility he would relate secret missions with which he had been involved the night before. Not only was his service time the high point of his life…higher even than succeeding in business, raising four daughters and living four score and seven years…but it set the tone, mindset, for his life. How he handled life. The way he looked at things and carried himself. Thru good days and bad…’til his death, Frank was a Marine.
I was in the Army for three years. I am proud to be a veteran and am active with veteran things. But I have never considered myself an Army man for life.
I am a Continental…for life. If there is anything I took away from the 42 year Originals Reunion in Canby and the comments and photos of the recent Anaheim 40th Continental Reunion (which I regretfully missed) is that once a person is a Continental they are a Continental for life. Whether we have been in other music groups; taken our education to the highest level possible for our vocation; pastored churches and ministries; led music; taught young minds of mush; raised children; overseen the progress of grandchildren; succeeded and/or failed as we and faced spiritual, physical, business and personal challenges…we are a Continental…for life.
WE were the first ones to sit under Cam’s steady hand and steely eye. The first to the bus, so to speak. Our zeal and success fed his fire to take the concept and name of Continentals to the whole world. Our worship together in church back rooms and on platforms solidified and sharpened our witness and set the launching platform for an international ministry.
I looked up the word gratitude. The definition is: A feeling of profound appreciation toward an individual. I would like to express my gratitude to Cam. I’ve told him this before in private but just so you all know I credit Cam and his tutelage for my extended career in the music industry, both sacred and secular. I’ve blamed him for the foibles, and I’ve praised him for my successes. My road warrior attitude, my management style, my musical creativity, everything eventually point back to my days as an Original. I like the “Originals” tag as opposed to ex-Con, which I used for years. We have stood the test of time. Coke is an original. There are many pretenders under the Coke umbrella, i.e. Diet Coke, Cherry Coke, Caffeine Free Coke, etc) and of course other brands (let’s see…what is the name of that other big brand?) But there is only one Coke.
We were meant for our times. What we did would probably not work today. The new leadership in the Continental organization have realized the need to implement changes for the “New Beginning”. Where are the choir groups much less the giant rallies? We did it without flash pots, bright t-shirts, and extensive choreography. Who would buy our records? (just kidding) We are relics of the past. Sure they can stop, stare and take photos of the dinosaurs. “Look Mom, they can still get up on stage!” Like the mammoth beasts of old we left a big ol’ footprint. Hard to fill those shoes.
After all…we are the Originals. Each of us will always be a Continental.

No comments:

Post a Comment